Sunday, November 6, 2011

Heaven is Rejoicing!

What an incredible day.  We arrive at church and I see a man that has been coming to the Soup Kitchen sitting outside the church.  I went up and started talking with him and he told me he accepted Jesus as his Savior last Sunday!  He said, "I was looking for you last Sunday but you were not here so I talked with someone else."  I rejoiced with him and assured him that was the best decision he will ever make and then told him that we were out of town the last week.

I sat by him during church and learned more of his story.  He is married and has 4 kids, but they are all living with his wife's mother in another village because he does not have a job or money to buy food for them.  I asked him how long it took for him to walk to church and he said 1 1/2 hours.  I immediately told him we would gladly take him home after church. 

When church was over I went to the market (tuck shop) to get some groceries for him and his family.  We drove to the village where his wife and kids are staying and it was quite the cultural experience!  He described how his wife was very negative towards him before he accepted Jesus because there is no food.  Since he accepted Jesus she has been positive towards him.  He asked me, "Do you have a word of encouragement to give my wife?"  I told him that I was praying that the Lord would give me something to say that would encourage her. 

As we approached the one-room house he said we must wait in the car.  I was expecting him to get out or something but he just stayed in the car.  He saw one of his kids and called them over to the car.  Something was said in Zulu, but I'm not sure what it was.  He then called another one of his kids over and said something to him.  A lady then came out of the house and I asked if she was his wife.  He said no but she will come out soon.  She finally came out and as she approached the car, he said under his breath to me, "ask her if you can come inside."  I told her I had some groceries for her and her family and would like to bring them inside.  She agreed and said to come inside.

As I set the groceries down the man asked me where my Bible was.  During the confusion in the car and carrying the groceries I had forgotten it in the car.  I went and got it real fast and then came back and sat down.  It was a bit awkward as his 6 year-old daughter was taking a bath in the middle of the room in a large rubbermaid-type container........

I explained to her that her husband is a new person because he now has Jesus in his life.  I asked her if anyone had ever told her about Jesus.  She gave an answer of 'not really.'  I then asked if it would be ok if I shared with her about Jesus.  She said that it would be ok.  I opened the Bible to John 3:16 and spoke with her about this passage for about 15 minutes.  I could tell that the Holy Spirit was working on her and asked if she saw herself as a sinner and would like to accept Jesus as her personal Lord and Savior.  There was another lady in the room that I was not introduced to but I could tell she was listening very intently.  I shared with them a little more and then they both prayed to accept Jesus!  It was incredible to see the huge smiles that came on their faces.

As I left I assured her that her husband desperately wants her and the kids to come back home and be together again as a family.  I told her that we would be praying for God to provide him with a job so they could have food.  Please join us in praying for this young family and that God would provide for them in a mighty way.

As we were taking him back to his village he patted his knees and sighed great big.  He then looked up and said, "God is so good!  I have such peace in my life now and can actually go to sleep tonight."  This man is very interested in beginning a Bible study in his home.  I can't wait to see how the Lord is going to use him because he lives in a village that we have been praying for a new church to start there.

3 comments:

  1. How awesome! The day after your birthday, these two ladies experienced a "new birth" day!!! I'm so blessed that God is using you in such a powerful way! We will pray for this young family and for you and Erin as you minister to so many lost people there. God is so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praising God for His love that is good in Africa or here..We will pray for all the villages but a special one for this family..miss you but rejoice with you as God uses you ...Gwen O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are celebrating with you!

    ReplyDelete